View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #30
Taffer
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
the main problem is USB bus latency.

In any case: USB2 is ok when you have really well written drivers and don't use off-the-shelf USB controllers (which almost all audio interface vendors do, but NOT RME - they have their own USB controller done in FPGA).

USB3 is better, but Thunderbolt is the best (and yes, it will work on Windows, at least Thunderbolt 2 - again, RME has a solution here, but it's quite expensive, and you don't need that many inputs for sure). Forget Firewire, it's dead for some time now.
Quote:
Get a Babyface Pro

What makes it premium? The whole package. You're getting drivers nobody else in that (or lower) price range has. They are simply the best.

But better question for you: if you don't need to have a bajillion of I/O, why are you concerned if something is USB or TB? TB is most often used on audio interfaces that have a lot of I/O, MADI, etc. (Clarett being one notable exception, but Focusrite's drivers, while ok, aren't at RME level).

I don't know whether to congratulate you, or question your sanity. That's some next level contradiction the likes of which I will probably never again witness
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you taking the time to provide advice, but I assume you have an explanation for the conflicting advice? I don't mind having a bunch of inputs or high end pre amps, I just don't want to pay significantly more for it. If a competent 2 io usb interface is 1000$, and a superior 8 io thunderbolt interface is 1000$, why would anyone buy the inferior product?
Taffer is offline   Reply With Quote