View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #1
MRMJP
Human being with feelings

Default Latency Issue noticeable when FX Blend used (AU Plugins)

I've reported this in several ways over the last year but a problem still exists. I use exclusively AU plugins because a few plugins I often use are AU only (no VST yet). I use Item FX exclusively except for one dither plugin on the track/channel that all the items are placed on. I have that track routed to three different stereo hardware outputs and then I am monitoring that on another armed track which I eventually record to.

The problem is that sometimes the latency or delay compensation is not properly calculated. It becomes a bigger problem when the FX blend is used. I often adjust the FX blend of the UAD Ampex ATR-102 somewhere between 30% and 70% so this problem is magnified for me a lot.

When the problem exists, I get a weird phase robotic sound because I am hearing the signal twice and slightly out of sync.

The problem seems to be induced by many plugin vendors so I've stopped pointing to them and decided to report the issue here.

The problem can occur when you insert an additional plugin at the end of an existing item FX chain. Brainworx, FabFilter, Goodhertz, Tokyo Dawn Records are just a few plugins that commonly induce this.

If I stop playback and restart it, the problem often clears up right away. The problem is that sometimes the problem can come back with no warning when I go to print the audio to a new track.

I have all my items lined up on a single track and then I play and record the entire session back to a new track. Randomly, some items will not properly calculate latency and then the new recording for that particular item needs to be redone with properly latency compensation.

Can you please take a closer look at how to improve this on the REAPER side?

Here is a screen shot that may help:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fgdbffuel...%20AM.png?dl=0

The lower track contains the source item where the item FX are applied. I left the item FX chain open so you can see it.

The first time I printed this to a new track shown above it, everything was fine. I had to go back and reprint the song with some different analog settings and a new source file.

On playback, it was sounding fine. When I went to print it in, as you can see, the 2nd take or recording is slightly late. However, it's not just late but it's phasey sounding and unusable because something is goofy with the latency and FX blend. I had to reprint it again and make sure the latency compensation was behaving properly.

There is no obvious reason why sometimes it goes wrong and sometimes it doesn't.

Does this seem fixable on the REAPER side?