View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #90
airon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lundsten View Post
Sorry can't see how this is that useful in Post-Pro (hey nice idea as it is & can see how it could be useful in Music production).
So for sure not a bad idea, but no-way as important as the "issues" airon has identified.

To be blunt, in "Post" i find grid snapping is far more of a pain than a benefit!

The only time I feel the need is if I want to try and make my "sample accurate" edit decisions be compatible to the very coarse frame based ones applicable to NLE's. IE when I want to do an export from Reaper to FCP or Avid.
John L
The grid-snapped-automation shapes do seem to be more specific to music applications. It's a good request I'm sure many folks will support, but I have to agree that it's hardly post specific. There are a lot of interesting uses for sound effects developers, so please go ahead and post it as a feature request.

The waveform penciling however is a basic proven tool that at times just works really well for dialogue editors. It's not always required, but it is sometimes a last resort, and the simplest of operations too. It's certainly quicker than calling up a declicker that probably won't work the first couple of tries. In the meantime I've drawn out the offending noise ten times over. Like I said though, it's a last resort.

The edit groups are a little beyond me as well, yet I thought I should mention them here, simply because a great deal of feature requests useful to post production are simply never noticed by those who could benefit from them. I see them in heavy use by effects editors for daily shows and other high-turnover formats. They're easier to simply suspend and bring back than item grouping.

John, perhaps you could illustrate methods of repairing clicks that could possibly be implemented in Reaper ?

One decent implementation of an editor was and is the Trimmer in Vegas, an extra window that acts on audio items like the midi editor does on midi items. Destructive functions could live here, as well as functions to edit the In and Out points of the item. The destructive functions could include a spectral interpolator or something else that could work well for getting rid of noises. Warp marker functionality could live here too, as it does in Ableton Live for example.

Schwas Spectro plugin has some good tools for spectral editing, or of course having Audition around as an external editor is beneficial as well. Does that have a decent audio scrub ?
airon is offline   Reply With Quote