View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Dafinga
Human being with feelings

Thanks so much jopatius for listening and taking the time to comment. I don't often see such critical comments on Reaper, but I welcome these instructive comments. You're right on the money in many cases: I don't play guitar or orchestral instruments (and I don't know much about orchestration) so I had to simulate and in many cases I'm just feeling around in the dark.

0:29 I assume you mean the "guitar" playing chords? Yes, it's Omnisphere. I'm pretty sure I did not quantize it though. I played through quite a number of bars and then copy-pasted. I personally really love its sound and its repetition.

1:52 I know the "cello" is synth-like - I wonder what it would sound like in the hands of an expert.

2:45 that "modulated singing" is just me through a speakerphone effect.

4:38 I feel in love with that synth sound (Omnisphere) and I just had to use it! I do feel like it might be too prominent at times.

Maybe it's a good sign you didn't comment on the drums? Those are fake too (meticulously programmed note-for-note).

If you thought this piece was irritating, try some of the others! They're far worse. (E.g. Overdrive 909+++; Clayed from A Word - especially the end)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopatius View Post
this is what I wrote down when listening to this:

0:29 this is a synth playing acoustic guitar (quantized), right?

0:59 the guitar playing the chords starts to bug me

1:52 not an improvement, too synth-like, this is not realistic orchestration

2:28 not an improvement

2:45 yes this is modulated singing is an improvement, although the "chord guitars" are now just making me nervous

3:43 getting boring

4:05 I'm not a fan of your vocal sound but those effects help a bit

4:38 cheesy synth sound, when do I ever get rid of that "chord guitar" which is a synth now?

6:11 I am really irritated by now

at the end, I felt some relief that it ended
Dafinga is offline   Reply With Quote