View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 11:46 AM   #10
quadrifoglio
Banned

@serr Thank you, I understand. But as I said earlier, we want his system to be stable and usable in all working conditions, no matter what he choose to use it for, just mixing or live performance. There is simply no logical reason for this behaviour to be hidden under the carpet just because he will maybe only do mixing, it will always be an active problem waiting to show up, temporarily covered with higher buffer size.
Also, there is no need to talk about treshold of perception because it is totally subjective. Some people can not hear latency at 128 samples, while others hear at 16 samples. I will repeat, he does not want to work with anything lower than 256 samples, we used 32 samples in our testing so we can clearly hear the problems. As far as it goes, even 256 samples crackles from time to time with just few instruments, audio tracks, and plugins.

My setup is at 64 samples most the time, which gives 4.3/3.1 ms round trip latency, with 44.1 khz and 16 bit.
This setup gives very nice latency for playing virtual instruments, even with recording audio, but when I record my self I go down to 32 sample.

My friend's setup is not clear yet because of this problem, but here are some figures:

32 samples 2.8/1.3 ms
64 samples 3.5/2.0 ms
128 samples 4.9/3.5 ms
256 samples 7.8/6.4 ms

All 44.1 khz 16 bit.

Last edited by quadrifoglio; 01-15-2018 at 01:27 AM.
quadrifoglio is offline   Reply With Quote