Thread: DAW BUILD 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 04:14 PM   #56
SEA
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by XITE-1/4LIVE View Post
SSDs for streaming sample apps is a must.
Notice my signature below.

This DAW was built as a part of the manifest as I couldn't afford it, but the most read and random read instensive sample app out there is no longer bottlenecked by ASMedia or Marvel SATA III 6GBps controllers.

Using the PCIe bus and the LSI 3008 controller w/the 3x24 Extender is insane.

Here's some benchmarks that were pretty useless as these drives broke all synthetic testing.

http://www.thessdreview.com/our-revi...gbs-850k-iops/

I can vouge that the 8 drive RAID 0 is so insanely fast I can use an 8 drive RAID 10+ where a realtime rebuild if a failure occurs, will not affect streaming. As 3 of the drives will kick right in during a rebuild.

This isn't necessary for anything other than live performance. But in 2 years these enterprise drives and the motherboard will be affordable to all.
I plan on using this for at least 5 years, as everything has a 5 year warranty.
My daw will be in my studio (not for live). For live I'll either be performing to a track as a solo artist (all originals) or have a live band one day.

So for that being said... would an SSD for my OS and programs be the way to go and then just cut and stream on 2 HDDs or still get an SSD for streaming (or just cut it all on the OS/program SSD as mentioned in this thread?)

I'm also planing on these components (unless there's something better to go with)

CPU = Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W 6-Core

Mobo = Asus Sabertooth X79

Cooler = Corsair H100i

PSU = Either the Corsair RM Series 850 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply or the Corsair 1200 ax modular.

Memory = 32 or 64 gb Corsair Vengance

Video = NVIDIA - GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card or perhaps the new EVGA GTX 750 Ti.

OS = Win 7 64

Thanks!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote