View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 04:04 AM   #6
Eddy
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Yeah, it's a good strategy in general to make regular backups (time-wise and also before installing updates, just in case).

For automating the process you can use a file backup software to copy the entire portable Reaper folder - which already includes both the application & resource files (including the .ini config files) - automatically on a pre-defined schedule (like every day, week, month, etc.) to a pre-defined backup location. Available software options can vary depending on the operating system.

For trying to find the culprit inside the reaper.ini, you can basically try to compare the contents of the reaper.ini from a fresh install to the 'corrupt' reaper.ini - manually (via a text editor) or via a file comparison software. In case there aren't any obvious differences visible (like a specific preference is enabled in the 'corrupt' reaper.ini and not in the other one, or vice versa) you can try to merge the differences from the 'corrupt' reaper.ini file into a fresh one stepwise (section-by-section, block-by-block or line-by-line) until it breaks again in order to narrow down possible problem sources.

But it might probably take less time and effort to start with a fresh reaper.ini and going through the preferences again manually (after importing only the 'working' .ini config files)

If you like, you can attach the 'corrupt' reaper.ini to a post, as well. So I can also try to check if anything inside the file might look suspicious.
thanks solger - a very kind offer to have a look, but I have a new install working and will try a better backup strategy and see how that goes.

... But if this happens again I will be back
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote