View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #43
krm27
Human being with feelings

I was big in trance, electronic and psytrance from 2000 to around 2006, haven't really kept up since then. I got Reaper a couple years back to use virtual guitar fx, amp sims, and record live music; but about six months ago, I discovered MIDI programming and have played around making electronica versions of some of my songs written for guitar. In some ways, I find it easier than trying to get a good live recording, since I can be very precise with MIDI piano roll, and I'm pretty inexperienced with live recording (well, with all aspects of Reaper).

Once I started playing around with creating electronica, I realized that the music I'm making lacks the elements I really loved in progressive trance, the rising pitches, white noise sweeps, dramatic builds/breaks. I've been trying to figure out how to do that stuff, I guess with envelopes (?) but have not found time. There really needs to be more focused Reaper tutorials on electronica and trance elements. I've resigned myself to watching YouTube videos that show how to do stuff in FL Studio or Ableton or some other DAW and then trying to figure out how to do that stuff in Reaper. Well, that's my current plan, but I have not found time to carry through on it. I was just hopping onto Reaper today to make another desperate search for some threads that might give me some more direct and helpful advice on this stuff, and came across this thread.

I'd be very open to any discussion group on making electronica with Reaper, maybe we can ultimately collaborate on putting together some good tutorials to post on YouTube.

One thing that I think would be very helpful, at least to me, would be sharing the Reaper song files. Specifically, if anyone has used Reaper to create progressive trance-type effects, like sweeping or rising pitches or that sort of classic progressive trance building, swooping, slowing & speeding up, etc., and would be willing to send me the Reaper file for the song, I could just open it up in my Reaper program and see, first hand, what was used to make the various sounds/effects. It's possible I've used some effects that others might be interested in, too, and would be willing to share those song files if anyone is interested. You can find my works-in-progress on my Soundcloud page (linked below).

If anyone is willing to send me a Reaper song file that uses the kind of effects I talk about above, send me a message here or on Soundcloud.

p.s. Any other fans of Hooj Choons label?