View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #376
Spacemen Tree
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuX View Post
There is a very good Windows 7 x64 lite installation made by "Nil" that I use. Just try googling it and you'll find it easily. The installation DVD is ~1.2GB big. When installed it consumes about 3GB of HD. Windows system folder says 2.68GB. That's far less than the factory installation. He cut down on garbage significantly!

My goal is to use as slim Windows as possible, only for audio. I really don't care about anything else in Windows mostly because I use Linux for everything else, but also because Windows are simply not "appropriate" for Internet. You're playing with fire that will sooner or later burn you if you use Windows for Internet. If I could somehow squeeze Windows 7 into a 200MB installation disk, I'd do it. Unfortunately it is not possible, at least not easily, to cut it down so much. Having said that, this lite version work with Internet and "everything else" without any problems, except for the fact that it's - Windows. :lol:

You can also try googling just "Windows 7 x64 SP1 lite" and something will pop up. This version I use is tweaked nicely from the get-go, too, so you really don't have to mess with it much. That is, you don't need to apply any of the "audio optimisation" tweaks. Both work better and smoother than MS factory installation. I only had to disable several services that are of no use for audio, like printer spooler, windows update, security, wi-fi, remote desktop, system restore, indexing, workstation, server... you know - the usual.

Cheers!
Hi Dux.

All I get in Google is links to a russian edition. Is that it?
BTW, I'm in a similar position, migrating everything to LINUX except audio stuff. I'm trying the lastest Manjaro. What distro do you recommend?
Also, any links to security provisions in LINUX? You know, firewall antivirus etc?

Thanks.