View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juca View Post
I don't believe that the brazilian Reaper users
1. It's certainly not brazilian Reaper users causing this. Very convenient and ad-free, Stashbox is a "much better than standard" file hoster for everyone, which is working from the same servers AFAIK and follows similar ethics as everything here. Otherwise it's independent. It attracts

2. normal guys who use up all the bandwidth, I guess one doesn't need much imagination for what they use it. Stashbox is not meant for that kind of (mis)usage. Unlike all the known big crap hosters, Stashbox doesn't annoy you with "mega-premium-memberships" for (much) money and artificial delays and relies on donations to pay for the bandwidth (which is getting more expensive every day as I heard) and overall common sense and decency.

3. If you're getting spammed/overloaded/attacked/explioted/whatever, there's not much you can do about it except blocking entire IP ranges allocated to an ISP. Blocking single IPs doesn't help at all due to dynamic IPs and you can't block a whole country easily either on the other hand. Hence it's not all of Brazil being blocked, it's (by coincidence) your ISP from which the abuse happened and which is temporarily blocked until the abusing guys do their "business" someplace else. Not to mention that file hosters can be even held (partially) responsible for certain activities in some countries.

Sorry, I know that is not very satisfying for you but things like this happen on the internet every day and anyone anywhere can be affected by such a thing any time as soon as certain interest groups form within your ISP's IP ranges, or too many "zombie computers" get activated there. ISPs are affected themselves by the same dilemma sometimes, I know of a case in my country where an ISP desperately tried to "buy out" high-bandwidth leechers out of their contracts (they were promised a 100€ bonus if they leave that ISP).