View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM   #27
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
It loads the DLL to create the items in the extension menu but "hooking" isn't really the best term as that is typically about intercepting a function call, prying open memory, inserting your code, running it, then returning the call to where it would have went. SWS is an extension using an official API to do where it is more of a contract - similar and nitpicky yes but it does matter because the former carries an earned stench the latter doesn't.

That said, once the library is loaded, that's it, there is no code or boogieman getting in the way, causing issues or crashes, it's just importing function calls in the event you decide to call them - if you call them and use them and there is a bug in the code called, then that's when it affects you.

I certainly have no problem if someone does or doesn't want to use it or reapack but it's important readers understand as accurately as possible so they can make a good decision either way. IOW, it doesn't need to be oversold or undersold, it just needs to be accurate. Barring any mistakes I myself made in explaining.
OK, say I install the SWS extensions, but I never use them at all.

Is the library for SWS being loaded every time I launch REAPER in that scenario?
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote