View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
RobU
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
I am truly grateful and will set things up as you have suggested and reply again with how it sounds.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION:

In one of the many videos I have been watching on YouTube, I think one guy said to try listening to my mix on several different devices. Basically, I think he said that if I can get my mix to sound good on the crappiest device I have that by doing that, that it will most likely sound even better on my good speakers!

Is this sound advice? I do have all the different pairs of speakers I have ever owned from the crappiest pair, then I have one with 2 speakers and a sub-woofer as well as a really nice set of speakers.

I am currently mixing on the really crappy ones. Good Idea?
From "Your Mix Sucks" by Marc Mozart

50% time on 'mom's kitchen radio' (i.e. crappy but not too crappy, think DAB)
40% midfields
10% full range

Well, that's one theory...

Personally, I mix on my nearfields (KRK R6's) almost all of the time and then playback on various reference speakers (hi-fi, headphones, high-end computer speakers, earbuds, etc). After several years I (think I) know my KRK's really well, but I still reference against other tracks while I'm mixing to keep me in the ballpark, and it works for me.

If you know your main speakers well, then I'd use them most of the time. If you don't know your speakers well, then I'd suggest putting together some reference tracks of different genres and listen to them on your main monitors. Pick one or two that are in the genre of the music you're mixing, and compare them to your own - how do they sound?

Cheers
R