View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs94704 View Post
Please clarify that in your example you have a MASTER BUSS on your track 5. Is this separate from the MASTER track that is inherent with each project already, or is it indeed a separate MASTER BUSS all together?

Correct me if I am wrong, BUT, is it or is it not true that the track that holds the actual vocal needs to always be dry and is simply sent to other tracks that are used to apply the various FX?

With this in mind, I see that in your example, track 2 appears to have the FX applied directly to it! I thought I heard in yet one other video on YouTube that if I do that, that it directly changes the actual vocal track itself vs. applying FX on a separate track.

Did I hear that right?
Sorry about that, I send everything to the Master Buss. Nevermind track 5; I really meant the MasterBuss (which is not really no.1, but a separate track of its own --- the number here are illustrative only, the order or significance doesn't matter)

Having said that, I should say that I actually do send everything to a track that I call "PreMix", which serves as a premaster. I send this Premix to the Master, and only this. You really don't need to do this... I only do this so that once I the Master receives my song it is 100% mixed. All the final plugins that the mix needs are on the Premix. This is psychological thing; I like to see NOTHING on the Master track, so that if I should decide to pretend to be a Mastering Engineer I can add mastering plugins on the Master track; Then I can turn them all instantly and hear the difference. It purely esthetics and psychological.

No it is not true. A vocal track can have a chain of FXs and it won't change the original signal. I ALWAYS have FXs on my vocal tracks, just not always the reverb and some delays that are used as ear candy for special reasons.

You can add all the FX on a separate track if you want. It's up to you. But the screen can get full, real fast, in big projects and this may slow you down as you search for which track is doing what. No need for that, just put the plugins on the vocal track, in the order you need them to affect the signal.

I hope this helps?
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote