Thread: Mixed in REAPER
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #6
Not_Here
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Nice mix Not_Here!

How did you find trying to mimic the plugins of the instructor?

I've taken some courses early on where that was frustrating.
I'm wondering if now that I have a little better grasp of how reapers plugins work I wont get as frustrated.

Ken

Hmmm, that's a brilliant question. You're right that I found a little frustration in not having a complete Fab Filter Suite, or the other nifty little app's that get poulled out of a list that's about 1000 plugs long. (must be nice to have the big boy budgets) You are also correct that mixing five or six songs first with Reaper exclusively gave me a good foundation/familiarity to fall back on. I do have a small well groomed set of Waves plugs, and some Eventide plugs, and a few others too.

Basically I looked at what he was doing chain-wise and built my own chain from there. Then I tried to get his sound by ear, if I got it close enough to work I went with it. If I couldn't quite get it I would back up and pause his vid and read the settings on his plug and try to duplicate what his plug sounded/did by combining stock reaper plugs with a waves plug or two. When Bob Horn said he used the kick as a trigger to duck the bass at the freq he boosted the Kick at, and he used two Fabfilter plugs, I didn't panic, because I knew how to manually sidechain a compressor from an input off another channel - because I learned how to manually build a de-esser in Reaper. So, in that example Reaper Contest totally paid off for every bit of time I put into it in the past. Of course Let us not forget to thank Kenny! ( ReaVerend Kenny ) I also understand now some of the potential functionality in my Dynamic Eq or C6 plug. Guess what I'll be using to tighten up Kick and Bass in the future - hahahhaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Oh yeah - how were the raw tracks in comparison to what we have been mixing in the Reaper contest?
The tracks were better produced I would say. Some occasionally need some work, noise reduction or leveling etc. But for the most part pretty much the same? Depends, Tracks previous to this mix were full of harsh tracks, and a weak kick. (Kenny saved me with Auto detect transients and convert to midi/replace with Addictive Drums samples) and I got an adequate mix, but I'm going back to it to mix again.

Speaking of the contest, I'm doing the mix right now for August. Where my frustration comes in now is Reapers stock plugs. I know what I want to do, but the stock plugs are either so undefined/unsupported or lack a certain something that makes their outputs really kick ass. So it seems. I just feel a little bit hobbled. Probably because I don't know every single plug/hardware by its abbreviated nomenclature (reaper plug names), and all the parameters on a purely numerical presentation.

I like MY Waves H-Reverb, complex sure, but usable and maleable to the Nth degree. ReaVerbate? not even close. Similar for almost evey plug across the board.

So, I'm not going to really sweat getting the Über-mix of all time with the contest stuff... I'm just gonna have fun with them.

I'm Learning tons more and much faster with the other mixing stuff and if this last mix is any hint of what I can do, I'm all about that!

Also, Thank you for Listening. To have someone enjoy something I mixed is a fantastic reward and privilege.

Peace!

Last edited by Not_Here; 08-14-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Not_Here is offline   Reply With Quote