View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #14
cyrano
Human being with feelings

I mean real old-fashion fragmentation.

OSX/HFS+ has auto-defragmentation for files up to 20 MB. APFS doesn't have that.

Besides, disk performance is a bit lower on spinning harddrives and a lot lower with some SSD's with APFS. I'm afraid High Sierra is really a beta and we'll have to wait for 10.14 to judge APFS.

APFS holds a lot of promises, like snapshots, but it still is experimental.

File Vault has never failed me. I've lost two encrypted partitions with High Sierra. One didn't recognize it's password, the other one did, but all data was corrupted completely. The odd thing was that all files were present in the finder, but only contained gibberish.

Another thing is that in rare occasions, HS seems to forget where the user's home folder is. Result: some apps crash, others open normally and others simply never open. Usually resolved with a restart of the Mac, but still, not very reassuring.

And then, there's that system prefs goof, where the prefs panel for the appstore will accept any user/password for unlocking, if you're running as admin. Not really a big security issue, since you're already admin, but again, not reassuring...

I've NEVER seen this kind of bugs on any OSX version, EVER.