View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #10
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

I kind of, sort of, have go-to eqs I *might* start with, but (aside from different vibes having different goals) it's just to get a few tracks halfway there and not start eqing from total flatness. Put them in context and they'll get stuff that can only be determined by where the other instruments are falling, even if the instrumentation is the same as the last 10 songs. Other instruments' shapes and also their levels and panning make a difference to what something sounds like it needs. Then if I hear something that wants *real* eq (and I assume some will want it then and there ) I'll do it.

When I assisted engineers in the stone age, some started soloing tracks and eqing them right away, and others never eq'd until they heard something that needed it, and never soloed anything except when fine tuning or checking something out. EQ always happened with all tracks up, and never by rote. It's all about doing what works for you workflow-wise and sound-wise. IOW, there are mental templates engineers use but there are a million of them