View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
serr
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mayfield View Post
Even though OS X / macOS has a smoother and (in my experience) more reliable audio+MIDI system, and I prefer using OS X over Windows, there are definitely more free plugins available in VST format for Windows than there are in AudioUnits for Mac.

It's possible, though extremely technical and a huge pain, to run some Windows VSTs on Mac (or Linux) under Wine. I tried this on OSX many years ago and got a couple to work, but it wasn't worth the trouble compared to just finding new plugins.

Edit: One site I used to go on a lot to find new plugins was KVR Audio. At least as of 2011 or so when I was more actively looking for new plugins, they were good about sorting them based on free, paid, and OS compatibility.
I'm pretty sure there are more free VST format for OSX than AU format for OSX as well. I don't see any superiority of one over the other. (Just like both VST & DLL formats are usually fine in Windows.)

Paid plugins will have installers/versions for both OSX & Windows.
If it was a couple/few years ago and you just threw out the OSX installer and you can't find the emailed authorization code... call and whine.

Anyway...

A good rule of thumb is if a plugin is only ever written in VST format for Windows, it's probably not a very serious (or stable) piece of code. And there's almost certainly a better and more professionally written choice (still for free). There are an awful lot of "Hey, look at the cool GUI I made! It looks just like a real plugin!" offerings out there is what I'm saying. This appears to be more of a Windows phenomena than OSX.

That said, I know there will be a few exceptions. There always are. And someone will probably start listing them in response right now!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote