View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #28
brummbear
Human being with feelings

It is an interesting problem/task. The amount of and probability of abrupt changes (which causes the "clicking") depends of course on both the material that you chop and the settings that you use - notably "Loop Start" and "Length Transitions" settings when working with rhythmic or even beat matched material.

Since the plugin allows quite some freedom to change the loop length (immediate changes, continuous mode) it is not trivial to implement smoothing. For example, a soft fade in (starting from zero volume) would still cause clicking because the last samples of the loop are still different from zero volume.

I can think of three approaches:
1) Short fade in for the loop start and short fade out for the loop end
-> this will lead to some degree of volume pumping but could be ok (?)

2) Short fade in and cross fading the loop beginning onto the loop end
-> this would lead to less pumping than 1) and create the smoothest loops but it could go wrong if you change the loop start (immediate or continuous mode) while being in the cross fade area of the loop end

3) Gradual sample approximation at loop start, i.e. slowly approach the sample target values over a short transition time with the start value being the last sample played.
-> this will still leave some clicking / spectral pops but should smooth out the most gnarly jumps in sample values

I will look into these at some point... don't know yet when I find the time

EDIT:
Took a look at it and have found a reasonable way to make transitions smoother. The next version will use approach 3) with a 10ms fade in taking into account the sample(s) at the loop end including their slope for a nice transition. Another improvement in the next version will be sample accurate loop start timing when you chose "at next beat" or "at next bar". Until now it was not sample accurate but within audio buffer tolerances. New version should be available in the coming days.

Last edited by brummbear; 09-19-2020 at 02:10 PM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote