View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
SymboliC
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Assuming you're only using one midi bus for actual midi things (no more than 16 channels worth of instruments), you can automate 15 buses * 16 channels * (127 CCs + pitch bend + mod wheel + etc...) via MIDI Link. Pretty sure that's more than you can assign in Kontakt.
The limitation is not related to ReaControlMIDI... but the Kontakt itself.

There are two types of automation options for 1 instance of Kontakt...
It's either,
1) MIDI automation (where we have 127 slots)
or
2) Host Automation (where we have 500 or so slots)

and it was the 2nd choice I was trying to automate. In that case, yes, there are many slots per Kontakt instance therefor, ReaControlMIDI can keep with it as you've also suggested.

Thinking that I wouldn't use all 127, this could be enough, yet, the other problem is more important. I can'T tell the current value of the parameter by only looking at automation lane. I have to open Kontakt to see what value the parameter is at at which point in the envelope.

In below video the narrator, show the exact process, yet, he doesn't use Multi-out Kontakt but one instance per track/per instrument.
So I can'T tell if this is all about Reaper's Multi-out VSTi structure or it is the same in other DAWS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpM709izbU0

In my case I use Multi-out Kontakt and this makes it all harder.

=(

BTW, he uses Host Automation option in Kontakt which has more slots available and is better to automate "organic" parameters like Hall Reverb level etc. instead of expression-like MIDI CC.