View Single Post
Old 09-10-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
So it might be that the old preset does not use new features in v6 that the new preset is able to use. Regarding your point it would be more interesting to try to use a new preset with v5 (if this even is possible).

With Kontakt libraries it's very very common that new ones need at least a certain Kontakt version-

-Michael
You can see from my post above Chucky's that both of us have tried patches from one version and transferred them to the other version.
I did it by typing in the values copied across so there could be differences in mic positions.

Chucky's post confirms my findings (details in the post above his) via the reverse procedure.

I tried improving V5 by copying the V6 patch modifications.
He tried V5 patch settings in V6. Both of us found they can get much closer than you might expect by this alone. This is to be expected really as V5 was already excellent.

My guess is that for any significant further improvements they would now need to substantially increase the minimum CPU requirements for any dubious subtle improvement they might achieve (to be enjoyed on a far smaller number of capable machines) by say for instance increasing the amount of interplay between different resonant structures in the model. I imagine the law of diminishing returns weighs heavily on their business model and physical model!

Maybe one day that will make an CPU hungry audiophile version (or simply built in mode) for say 3ghz and above desktop CPUs. They would have to be careful not to alienate the majority of customers with machines that don't come up to scratch (most users with affordable older laptops) that have been used to Pianoteq upgrades working on existing hardware.
Then people could bicker about whether or not they can hear a difference or not switching between normal and -lets call it- "discerning" mode in blind listening tests.

Anyway enjoying Pianoteq 6.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote