View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 02:16 AM   #29
uncleswede
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson schulbus View Post
Working with this now. I have limited things to test with so it's just an iPod into channels 1-2. Got signal and seems to record fine. I have not figured out yet how to hear back through the recording laptop but that's minor at the moment. The meters is what I need to understand based on your response. They're tiny to be sure on an 11" screen. I see a couple things. The 'docker' meters don't seem to tell me much about the input level as a number. The mixer view seems to offer a bit more detail but not a number, at least as an input value. So, is there an input gain trim adjustment somewhere I haven't found yet? Os is that done on the mixer channel gain? It seems if it has to be done at the channel that then messes with my overall house mix settings I have worked so hard to perfect. :-)
It's the XR18 channel gain settings that determine the actual levels hitting Reaper (at least, by default). If your individual xr18 channel gains are set to give about -18dB from your sources then you should be good to go for both the recording and your house mix. You can always turn your Main LR fader and/or the PA and monitors up if you have to reduce the channel gains on your current setup! The metering on the XR18 is basic, I agree, but the first yellow mark on the meters is about right.

To hear the recordings back on the laptop is a little trickier and I wouldn't normally bother with that at a gig. As long as you've got the levels right and you can see decent waveforms on all the recorded tracks that should be fine. You can review them later. If you still interested then, in summary, you need to set the hardware output of a recorded track in reaper to an xr18 output channel, then on that same channel on the xr18 change the source from analog to USB.
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote