View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 04:03 AM   #91
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

I have considered coding a pattern sequencer like the buzz one, because I would also quite like one, but I haven't implemented one yet.

The problem is that you need a mapping somehow to which MIDI item is what pattern. I guess this could be stored similarly to how I store the tracker options (via text objects), but I would have to also add a mechanism that makes the tracker act across multiple MIDI items with the same 'pattern ID'. "New" patterns created in REAPER/outside of the tracker would have to be added when found.

This is all possible, but how would you deal with patterns that have not yet been placed? In the way the tracker plug currently works, the MIDI item has to at least exist to be displayed. And it has to be present on the same track (in order to get the same compatible FX columns). I guess it would be possible to add a pattern 'graveyard' far beyond the end of the track or something, but also there there'd be tricky bits. Namely, I have to make sure they never overlap, since that would cause the automation items to become messed up.

Writing a pattern sequencer has a lot of potential problems, so I've decided to write this tracker plugin first and letting it mature a bit before taking on another project. I'm also a bit swamped at my day job at the moment which is causing my inactivity.

Long story short, maybe in the future!