View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
vinnie2k
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Ok, so are you saying that the drum kit only seems to work properly if you send out on midi channel 10, but the VSTi only works on midi channel 1?
No :-)

I can send MIDI to other channels, but when I select other channels on my drum kit it sounds like crap and I can't play the drum kit "direct" because whatever I'm playing makes no sense. What I am playing comes out of the drum kit, not the interface / VST.

Quote:
What VSTi are you using?
Some freebee called DVS-DrumSampler.

Quote:
I use Addictive drums, and have tracked a Roland TD-8 several times with it. Addictive drums allows you to route each kit piece to individual tracks - also known as a "multi-out" vsti.
And that's exactly what I am looking for. I had promised myself to not buy a real drum VST before I had understood what I was doing and tried using what I had. I wanted to try using a freebee to then EQ/compress each instrument for educational purposes.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but would it be preferable for you to keep all of the midi data on a single track, but have the audio sent to individual tracks (where you eq, compress, etc)? That seems to be a pretty standard way of working with drum VSTi's.
I'd love to do that.

I am at the point where I have all my MIDI data to one track. How do I send each sound (if not each MIDI note) to a different track?

Quote:
Nevertheless, you could:
1. duplicate the entire midi track to each kit piece track and delete the notes that don't apply;
A bit too manual for me. Although I could, for each track/instrument, only load a sound for that particular note. Meeeh :-)

Quote:
2. create sends from the master midi track to each of the other tracks, and use the JS:IX/MIDI_Tool II to filter out the unwanted notes on each track; or,
That, I like. I'll try it.

Quote:
3. Well,there are probably several ways, but again, I kind of hope you choose to do it differently.
How would I? :-)

Thank you so much for taking the time.
vinnie2k is offline   Reply With Quote