View Single Post
Old 05-31-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
Syn2k
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Why do you want to record higher than 192 kHz?

384 kHz is rare and expensive. Not to mention DSD...

The quality of your recordings isn't linear with sample rate. It depends on mic and preamp quality.

When it comes to output, 384 kHz is madness, in my mind.
That's like claiming soft clipping is pointless or 32 bit floating point or more than 8 megs of RAM or massive oversampling is useless. I was so delighted by the 768 times oversampling on the first song I made in Reaper that it made me want to hurry to go for 384 kHz recordings or higher. I find that the smoothest recording I ever made with Omnisphere 2 was in Reaper v5.40 set at 24 bit 192 kHz 768x oversampling and Omnisphere 2 uses 24 bit 96 kHz samples for it's waveforms. Many modern plugins only support up to 192 kHz and that may be why DSD is far fetched but at least 384 kHz would be great.

Does reaper support 384 kHz with any old DAC. On the homepage it says it supports ANY sampling rate. Prime analog speakers call for high sampling rates in my opinion as does any hi fi system. If you're using headphones or cheapo listening units then any rate is fine. I own Mackie 624's for recording and Focal Chorus towers are my hi fi's. It's like adding embossing to process better in digital and organic appeal. At least to process the way I like. Maybe you don't do art that calls for anything but purity. That must be what it is. Purity is vanilla and dull to me. Pure signal BANJO and Yodeler art synthetic organic. End of rant.

Case closed answer please.

How can I make the sampling rate list beyond 192 kHz? Answer?

-Syn2k
Syn2k is offline   Reply With Quote