View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #47
RDBOIS
Banned

Default Mic test

One last thing, or not...,

I may have discounted something important, my acoustic guitar is a Yamaha FGX800C and it has a special kind of brace inside that makes the sound "very mid rangy", with some low-mids. That is good when playing outdoors by the fire; it cuts across background noise and that is why I chose it out of all the other ElCheapo guitars. But, it does create "issues" when recording...

Rather than spend all my time finding the right EQ, I spent a few hours testing the microphone location hoping this would help. Basically I tested the near in front (vanilla spot) VS everywhere else.

What I found is this (and it is also related to the microphone which is a Heil PR22:

1) There are some very specific spots where the microphone seems to pickup and amplify some harsh harmonics (if that is what they are called?). Simply moving the microphone 1/4 of an inch can either amplify or not a specific frequency coming from the guitar.

2) The vanilla spot is not so good for my guitar and microphone. Just goes to prove that there is no magic spot.

3) Things get better when the microphone is at least 3 feet away, but for a strumming type ballad it always sounds best when the microphone is located higher and pointing down at the guitar. I would say, sort of like, if you stood in front of me, three feet away, and looked down at me playing while I'm sitting on a chair. The microphone is placed where your head would be.

Anyway, that was a very educating (4) hours of fun.

For those who like samples here are two clips (note: I did add slap on some EQ and effects; the same for both takes).

CLIP 1 NEAR FRONT- VANILLA SPOT - https://www.dropbox.com/s/u07g62dqwn...t-001.mp3?dl=0

CLIP 2 TOP POINTED DOWN 3 FEET AWAY - https://www.dropbox.com/s/o52aqhqtq2...t-001.mp3?dl=0

There is still some harshness, but I will deal with it when I mix, relative to the other sounds in the song.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but I feel I'm pass the thick shrubby understory.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote