View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #27
JamesPeters
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
I always assumed that REAPER for Linux was born out of Justin's love of using Windows. What other OS lets you reboot to test something and then spend the next hour waiting around on all the updates to finish so you can get a turn at using your own computer?
None I can think of!

Quote:
I have not tried the EQ but my favorite delay plugin is Sonic Anomaly Leet Delay 2, which is a JSFX plugin.
Try the Witti BBD Echo plugin from this pack. I like some of his other plugins too. Some are handy utilities, some are nice effects, some are a bit wonky. There's a through-zero flanger in the pack too. Under "dynamics" there's w_clipper which is a dynamic clipper, it's another of those "why aren't other people talking about this" plugins (IMO). And another that stands out is the transient plugin since it has no latency and works well (I find most transient plugins need lookahead but this does nicely without it, so it's good to have it handy).

Quote:
Hehe, I still have install CD/DVDs for Windows 95/98/98SE/ME/NT4/2000/2000 Advanced Server/ and some others I can't think of off the top of my head. They would make a real nice and stinky fire!
A very satisfying one too.

Quote:
Maybe Cockos could bring the Linux version out of experimental status, but not officially say on which distro. Just list that James Peters has successfully run it the above list.
Lol. I haven't tested under every possible scenario but I have several test projects designed to punish my CPU in various ways to see how Reaper reacts in various distros with different WMs, compositors and kernels.

My takeaway about distros: Xfwm4 and compton combined is my favorite. It has lots of ways you can customize it but it doesn't seem to affect performance of the system to any significant degree (so I can push the CPU hard in Reaper and it's stable). Plus video plays smoothly, and there's no screen tear anywhere. So I went with Xubuntu since it's the most up-to-date distro I know of which has Xfwm4 by default (then customized it from there).

Last edited by JamesPeters; 10-09-2019 at 09:17 PM.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote