View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 06:13 AM   #6
Gelic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
Firstly - great work Gelic! But how uncanny! I've been on XP up until a couple of weeks ago. Aside from fear of change, one of the main reasons for staying with XP was some of the horror stories I had read about people trying to get the 1820M to work in that OS. Anyhow, I kind of HAD to change to Win7 a couple of weeks ago, and as such the 1820M in Win7 research started afresh. Two days later and with a whole essay documenting what I found, I finally, finally reached the same conclusion as you (well, nearly; see below).

So very strange that after all of that your post should appear... Parallel universe maybe?

A quick minor correction first. Although I agree that you point to the right app download, you list it in the post as EmuPMX_PCApp_L6_2_20_00.exe. I don't think that exists. The "L6" part should read "US". So it should read EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe.

It might seem that I'm being pedantic, but the reason the research took me so long is because getting the right info and the right drivers is a quagmire that beggars belief. What a minefield. There were a number of factors for me which contributed to all of the confusion:

- There are different EMU sites/web address locations from where to download drivers; even sometimes the same driver!
- The EMU nomenclature is not clear so you have to look closely at the filenames.
- Drivers from one device work for another where you might not expect they would. (including the PCI Express driver being recommended for PCI Standard cards).
- People in forums are not always clear about what they are recommending.

On top of that, some links that people give in forums seem to take you to a version that is different to the one they are saying they recommend. For example, whilst someone might say they recommend the 2.30 BETA, and even give you the full name of the 2.30 BETA file you should use, the link they give you then takes you to a NON BETA driver. This happens on a few occasions on forums. I think (guess) this is due to the EMU site, and that perhaps they have made some weird changes. So the forum links would have originally taken you to the proposed downloads, but no longer do. I might be wrong, but I cannot think what else would be going on. Head scratching stuff indeed.

To be continued later...
You are RIGHT Max Dread! Although Nana uses the L6 nomenclature, I was in a hurry and neglected to realize the versions I installed were prefaced with "US" instead! I've changed the post to reflect this. On the latest i7 with Windows 7, the LAZY POWER AND SPEED!!! With 16gb of memory, XP seems a bit frowzy :-) Like you, I clung to my XP like Charleston Heston clung to his rifle! But I had to let it go. Now I'm clinging to Windows 7!

As to our endeavoring orbits having just the right timing to be useful... Indeed, I call that force the Author's Pen! It's a quill that puts gashes in planets, fission in stars and sonority in our ears. :-)

I thought someone might want to see a comparison of the files and lo and behold, what do we have here :-)

All of the above are also at http://TheGuy.com/Emu

Norwich seems saturate with HISTORY!

Last edited by Gelic; 02-22-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Gelic is offline   Reply With Quote