View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 PM   #310
superblonde.org
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
Here comes the bad design part though... because the standard piano keyboard is a mess!

So, by pure visual means the "octave" separator on the piano should have been either D or Ab (G#) (tritone apart).
I would guess that harpsichord players noticed this (melody created by pattern symmetry) and used it for writing music. On guitar there are players or instructors constantly suggesting, "unlock music by learning this newly discovered neck pattern" - which, some may be new, or likely recycled, or coincidentally in common with some geometry known before. There are entrenched camps of instructors or players who swear by only using one system of patterns (symmetry or similarity of shapes) over the other competing systems of patterns. An interesting part of piano is that it is usually not taught in terms of shapes- the piano material is nearly always chord-construction style ("play 1,3,5.. that's major.. now play 1,3,5 and add the 7..that's called etc etc...". If learning-by-shapes existed on piano (similarly as it is commonly done for guitar) then the piano books would be filled with dozens of pages of key-layout-diagrams with highlighted keys for various chord patterns of all combinations, inversions etc.

I don't know how today's newest players learn a matrix instrument like Novation Launchpad, whether it's by the LED patterns as a trainer, or by diagrams, or by row-column tablature, or what (for those performances which require it to be played, rather than using the pads as a set of sequence trigger, or using the pads as a scale). I guess the results of playing-performance on Launchpad would perhaps be a better comparison to the Pashkuli keyboard in terms of discussion of symmetry, learning by visual layout or visual cues, etc.
superblonde.org is offline   Reply With Quote