View Single Post
Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #67
Sound asleep
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Those are sort of meant for user configuration so you can just add a bunch if disparate folders to a library. I like it OK but don't use it much because I never got in the habit. I wanted to like them but I'm too ingrained to just click on the actual folder.
I find they are useless and just lead to weird dead ends, and add more clutter, and create another shitty version of a dialog like what's bothering us now.

Just give me favourites to whatever I choose, don't add a bunch of useless folders to my "users" folder, and put it on the non OS partition. Libraries is superfluous, and only makes things worse, imo.

Quote:
It could potentially ask you during setup but that adds a potentially mysterious question to the other 80% of users who have no idea and would not know what to do - that really is a big deal. Otherwise, best practice in general is "I (the os installer) knows where the system drive is and that it is healthy because we are installing here" which believe or not reduces complexity and potential setup issues by a large margin, allowing you to easily move them later.
People shouldn't be asked. It should just do it. On the computers I'm talking about, it's the installer that creates the partitions on the brand new computer.

Quote:
Right-click and choose open file location - actually always test that in various places, even browse dialogs etc., very handy aka the bomb. That's all I have to answer right now but thanks for the chat.
That doesn't work. That's how it should work, but it doesn't. It brings to "that folder" but it's that folder inside the weird search universe, meaning the path isn't in the path bar, you can't go up in hierarchy, or anything like that. You are in "Search\the folder the file you found was in". Not "C:\the regular folder hierarchy\the folder the file you found was in". If it was like you are saying, that would be exactly what I want.

It used to be like that in earlier versions of windows.