View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #284
lb0
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybuck View Post
lb0, thanks for this great script. I'm using it in conjunction with goldenarpharazon's controller script for the Akai MIDIMix. Previously, I never used the Akai for anything other than riding track faders in real time for volume automation, due to the time it takes to map controls to fx. With your script, I'm starting to use those 24 upper knobs.

I'm new to lua, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to modify the script to include variables for "columns" and "rows" that could be user-edited in the script and change how it draws the GUI. This would provide a way for us to make the strip match the general layout of our controllers, making it easier to reference slot X on the GUI to knob X on a device. For example, a user with the common keyboard control layout of 8 knobs over 8 faders would use rows=2, columns=8, or a Midi Fighter Twister would be rows=4, columns=4. Then, instead of drawing a vertical strip, the GUI would lay out the slots in that configuration.

That visual correlation between the GUI and controller would really take things up a notch because currently if I just see, say, ReaEQ gain for upper mids is in slot 17, I have to do some quick math and think "row 3, knob 1" (the Akai has 3 rows of 8 knobs).

These 2 variables would also satisfy the inevitable user requests for custom templates for this or that device.
Hi,

Due to the way it's coded - it would be quite a big ask (not impossible - just quite a bit of work) to do this.

And for this version of the script - I'm not really developing it other than fixing bugs.

However - SK2 is in the works (as I'm sure you've read) - and this does allow for a graphics layout when assigning controls.

Eg:

But the script's still a work in progress - and I only have graphics for XTouch/XTouch extender and SSL Nucleus.

But it would be possible for the user to add graphics for their controllers with a bit of work (ie. the user would have to create a text file with the necessary hit areas for each button in the image - and would also need to cut holes (make transparent areas) in the controller image where each control is). Overall - it took me roughly a few hours for the XTouch one in the image.

The main SK2 window however still looks similar to the SK1 version - but you can expand into columns by making the gui wider (however it will fill vertically first before starting a new column).
lb0 is offline   Reply With Quote