View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Sibben
Human being with feelings

Default nT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
For best bang for buck, and a better cooled mac, I am thinking of a macmini 2018, I7 3.6 Ghz, 64 gig RAM, 1 TB SSD. 1 Dell monitor attached to it via USB-C to display port (no scaling).
I have that exact setup except for the storage. I got a pre-owned 2018 with a 256 SSD and 8GB RAM for a really good price and then I put 32 GB of memory in it myself and hooked up a 1TB external SSD. Saved me quite some cash. I’m running it with a 4K screen via HDMI.

I’ve just had it a couple of weeks but so far it has performed flawlessly. It gets warm to the touch but is very quiet until the fan goes on (which it seems to do only when the turbo kicks in). Since I got an app that disables the turbo function I have not had the fans go on once and it stays dead silent. I reckoned I’ll re-engage the turbo when needed but that has never happened; it chugs on nicely without it. Even with the fans on it was not annoyingly loud though but of course you can’t really record close to it.

Tried it with Cubase but mostly with REAPER, both without issues. I have not taxed it super hard yet but I always run a bunch of instances of Kontakt, a number of plugins and an outboard drum machine and it does not break a sweat. Can’t say for certain it’s the proper setup for you but I’m very happy with mine.