View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 01:36 PM   #570
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

There's a lot I like about this. But here's my soapbox:

Reaper has to run functionally, as is, stock, with no customization. It shouldn't require customizing to make any aspect functional. All customizing, both theme-wise and deeper, should be optional to the experience, to advance it for the user as they desire. Hand in hand with that is the need for the stock defaults to be more sensible than they currently are. That "you can customize Reaper" shouldn't simply be a way of saying "you have to customize Reaper", or it will continue to be seen as a niche product for tinkerers, which isn't quite fair.

That said, I am very hopeful for version 6 There are some small things in this beta theme (which part is housing certain buttons, for example, which makes the most used buttons on a track not keep disappearing and reappearing as the track is resized) that I immediately felt were an improvement. An example of what I wouldn't like would be for the solo button to be too small and in an unfortunate place, but, hey, you can change that Excellent UI design is more about making what's great either obvious or accessible, it's not so much about giving interface choices to people who aren't good at choosing a good design and don't even want to, or forcing them to build it. Where it creates possibilities that are relevant to them, yes. Where it doesn't yet is required to be functional, not really.

I am hoping for the best possible design, not the most options to choose from to fill in a blank slate.