View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #16
Never
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
I hope Theme creators and editors take a good note of your comment on this. It always confuses me what track is going to have record audio data and what is not. A good visual representation (icon state) would be very welcome and appreciated.

I see many wrong or misunderstood things in new Reaper Themes, mainly on the editor|creator's end.
I can show metering scale being omitted (on the Master track) being non-responsive to its settings (right click, Peak + RMS). This makes it very unpleasant for such beautiful looking new themes.

INCORRECT (the scale stays the same) the theme is Logic NeXt 1.5.5
You can see only Peak scale, no RMS, offset value is not correct. Usless to work with such meters and scales.
Now I have to use third party Metering plugins to compensate.

CORRECT (the scale reflects the settings)
You can see how the 0dBFS of the RMS scale (outside meters) has an offset of -18dBFS from the Peak scale. That is expected and how it should react!
Okay the theme your dealing with is Logic Next and I believe it is by Blankfiles which is AlbertXXX and his VUs are all hand drawn
graphics, the earliest of which are very hacked, not as in hacky, but just
tricked. There has been alot of debate on the boards about his VUs . People
want them accurate, because obvs its about doing music,
and doing it right, or else we would not be using REAPER.

This VU is from my current WIP 'Quantum'. It is a global standard MCP panel VU, and I screencap the factory VU, then underlay it in
photoshop, draw the scale over it...to the pixel...then mute the factory VU layer.So it will be accurate. Also, I have layouts where the factory VU and scale is useable...in all my themes. Aesthetic value or accuracy is your choice. So that in a nutshell is my take on that. I am wondering what your question is here for me as regards the recording process or....??? Did I miss something? sorry. Lemme know.

Edit: I see what your saying now....as regards the .pdf in other words....yes well Iknow whats happening in his themes.
I have torn his stuff apart extensively, and it helped me learn how to hack, but he lets REAPER do alot of scaling.
Not so much lately, but if you do all the graphics, then someone wants a change, and you have to redimension an element,
and they are breathing down your neck 'cause they donated $ for your theme, well, sometimes you might just let REAPER
rescale an element instead of going in and redoing the whole darn thing. I always do everything Px for Px. In PS and REAPER,
and redraw and redraw, IDC how long it takes. But the reason for the discrepancy in a nutshell is this:
From a technical standpoint, anyway....REAPER requires certain dimensions on the MCP_VU, and other VU related images.
multiples of 8px, and so, when your element is out of whack, it throws everything waaaay off, especially in an 8-slice image.

Last edited by Never; 04-16-2018 at 05:16 AM.
Never is offline   Reply With Quote