View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #96
Bob Headroom
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by innuendo View Post
- sfc can run from within windows, so if you saw it actually running then it did. No need to run it again. I forgot that in XP the output goes into the GUI and not into the terminal.
Yes, I think I saw it running. A grey box came up and a blue progress bar slowly worked its way across. It took probably 5-10 minutes to complete.

Quote:
what is GC again? OH, GC = graphics card. What model is it BTW?
It's an ATI/AMD HD5450. Cannot remember the brand but can find out if necessary.

Quote:
- yes, best to currently leave the drivers as they are. Maybe you can increase the resolution if that is bothering you.
Will do. Resolution is fine. Everything is very laggy in the graphics and there's no dual monitors. Both to be expected though and no problem living with that while we diagnose.

Quote:
- sfc /scannow is not supposed to be messing with drivers or performing any deliberate system changes. It simply scans for corrupted OS files and attempts to fix the corruption.
I don't really know anything about any of that, but running sfc /scannow last night was the last thing I did before bed. And then when I switched the PC on for the next time this morning, the GC drivers were capput. I'm 98% certain that it was sfc /scannow which also made the GC drivers disappear last time.

Quote:
- please reboot and then upload the System and Applications CSVs again
OK, will reboot when I've finished replying and do that right away.

Quote:
Also please verify that you have System Restore enabled and active for the OS drive, then create a restore point.
After that, please check in Chrome whether there is a crash.
I've never used System Restore. I'll get those CSVs done as above. Then I'll activate System Restore and follow those latest instructions.

Many thanks
Bob Headroom is offline   Reply With Quote