View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #13
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
In a normal recording situation you wouldn't be singing or playing your instrument 1 meter away from the mic. Most definitely not in a home recording situation.
It's best to sing relatively close to the mic to have the best signal-to-noise ratio, and to control the room noise level (you probably already know this ).
You will get the proximity effect, where low frequencies are more prominent when singing close to the mic.. but that is what an EQ is for right? .
EQ's aren't for fixing problems we had every opportunity to not have to begin with.

Someone may mic that close when they want the proximity effect and/or want a very in your face sound, or in bedroom situations where the room is not treated or has bad acoustics where close micing is trying to remove the room from the equation (which is the best of a bad situation anyway) I often mic acoustic 12-30 inches away because my room doesn't make things worse.

Secondly with acoustic guitar, there is little or no room for the sound to develop when that close - when we hear an acoustic, the sound from all the parts of the guitar converge on the way to the ears, with a mic crazy close it's more like a microscope on that piece of the guitar - lastly, get the mic out of that sound hole for goodness sake, it's far, far worse for the end result than that tiny amount of hiss. We should really prioritize things that have more weight and as I said in post one, that hiss isn't the thing ruining the sound so I'm unclear as to the hyper focus on it.

Is the goal a good guitar sound or just no hiss?