Thread: DAW BUILD 2013
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #89
XITE-1/4LIVE
Human being with feelings

6kb makes perfect sense when using SSD caching.
RAM caching is what we have been using for years, since Conexant/Gigastudios Endless Streaming Technology first came along.
Kontakt is the best streamer since then. PLAY and VSL make excellent instruments but their lack of options for streaming/editing and overall size using uncompressed audio make them difficult when you have a 16GB template loaded.
Samsung acquired that software company and only allowed it to be used with the EVOs in hopes they would sell enough, so they could then turn around and offer that software to their 840 Pro line.
What I love about Kontakt is the options.
For example, I prefer lots of RAM for certain instruments.
Chris Hein Horns is a great Section/Solo choice for horns.
Often Section swells are timed and ineffective in realtime as there's no way to really measure the length necessary. But loading more into RAM allows the user to control the length of the Section Swells via the Mod Wheel, which is awesome for Funk, Nelson Riddle/Sinatra type stuff.
I even hold the swell, then smack down a Section Shake at the swells climax for a second, then have the section Fall set up to follow the release of the Shake.
Such options are not available in PLAY or VSL, and also why I study Kontakt as much as possible per developer, as some developers have tricks not mentioned in their manuals, or forums at KVR.
Kontakt is also the very first sample app that allowed developers to satify Pianists by having Sostenuto Pedalling, which was only done on a real Piano, Stage Piano (Korg/Yamaha/Roalnd/Kurzweil) or PianoTeq.
Orange Tree is that developer, and the Rosewood Piano is awesome.

So it's good to know about Samsung having a boost with smaller buffers, as then they serve as nanosecond targets for the SSDs.
One thing is still certain in the world of sample playback still. More smaller SSDs works really well with several tracks in realtime or recording an entire template on the fly.

Until my new rig is finsihed and tested for summer, I am using 3 x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4s at 510MBps, the SATA III 6GBps maximum, and they work fine.

I really like shaing battlefield stories about different tricks with Kontakt and SSDs/RAM. They really have advanced their application, and while not being a fan of their softsynths, I played around again with Reaktor and it's envelopes respond like hardware almost.
4 years ago they were mushy like most Native synths, so NI is constantly getting ahead and for anyone not using Kontakt, you have my sympathy.