View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #16
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Yep, and I prefer that between the stereo mixes. But they released the stereo remix by Chris Thomas. I very strongly prefer the surround mix over either stereo mix. The stereo mixes both feel like reductions or afterthoughts for this album. They really were the de facto surround sound band. Much of the quad panning arrangements come from the live show. (Performed for a year before recording in the studio.)

I also much prefer the moog solo in Great Gig In The Sky as performed live in 1972! But I must admit that vocal improv that changed it up in the studio is still pretty special.

Then there's the James Guthrie 5.1 remix done many years later. This actually downplays the surround elements, giving it more the feel of the stereo mix but with some of the surround elements. Great mix work and fidelity but lost all the mojo of the original quad surround mix.

Sorry, this isn't the Pink Floyd forum...
You were talking about limiting your virtual piano I think!
I see what you're saying. It is easy to go down a Pink Floyd rabbit trail. They're brilliant.

In any case, I thought I'd share the piece I'm working on to give some context. (Also I'm starting to really like the mix, so I need an excuse to share it.)

DISCLAIMER: Work in progress. We're discussing the piano sound, remember. (Another thread might be a discussion of pitch on the original album and whether playing it at concert pitch changes the emotional impact. But again, for another time.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iiqa6wvckb...%2021.wav?dl=0