View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
airon
Human being with feelings

Reaper 4.0 rc2 x64 feedback

I've done some more tests with three different media types.

MP4 H264 Video 60fps 1920x1080, AAC Audio 48khz
Source: download link in the notes section of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQq_ZnSdGxQ

An interesting case. VLC plays this fine. Windows Media Player plays this rather badly. Media Player Classic with the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack installed plays it out of sync.

Reaper thinks this is a 20 hour video file. ( 19:56:37.038 )

With OS decoding unchecked it can barely play the audio.

With OS decoding checked, and the K-Lite 64bit codec pack installed ( http://www.codecguide.com/klcp_64bit.htm ) it thinks it's 20 hours long. WIthout the codec pack it can't even import the file.

With the 20 hour thing Reaper crashes just trying to exit.
Quicktime MJPEGA and PhotoJPEG Video 25fps 512x288, PCM 16 bit audio or no audio 48khz
K-Lite codec pack is installed, but I might as well hadn't bothered for this.

OS decoding checked - only audio playback if 16 bit audio is present. No video. Apple Quicktime after all is 32-bit only on Windows.

OS decoding off - video works nicely. If you move the cursor(to make a time selection for example) a little too quickly, the video freeze frames until you slow down a bit. As stated above, this does not happen in Protools or the Quicktime Player. It apprently knows when to skip frames during seeking.
Windows Media Video wmv3 yuv420p 6500kbit/sec 1920x1080 @23.98fps(23.976), WMA audio 128kbit 48kHz

Very interesting.

FFMPEG by itself (OS decoding off) botches playback, in that it freeze frames completely and never recovers unless I stop and start again. The audio plays fine.

OS decoding checked(K-Lite installed too) and it plays fine and seeks rather quickly as well.
Conclusion

MP4 h264, large frame size, high frame rate
install the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack and check OS decoding.

Quicktime MJPEG/PhotoJPEG - average frame rate, small to large frame sizes
uncheck OS decoding at all costs, and use the Aegiscorp FFMPEG DLLs. Then it runs rather well, though according to ReaktorDave, not as well as in v3 of Reaper.

WMV wmv3/wma, large frame size, average frame rate
FFMPEG totally screws up here.
Install the K-Lite 64-bit codec pack and check OS decoding in the preferences/video, and you'll be fine.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote