View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #44
TonE
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
something i've discovered that works smoother than the action markers is using midi notes + miditoreacontrolpath

if you want, you can drop markers at the same points as your midi notes (which are, of course, assigned to actions) so you have the benefits of the markers as well
Is it also possible to assign to a single midi note a whole sequence of actions, as is possible with markers? Another "problem" might be such notes might collide eventually with your other midi notes, which might control other things. So you have to be a little careful which notes to use where exactly. All together I would have following free notes:
4 * 128 = 512, which is ok as I assigned already midi channels 1..12 for other things, so only midi channels 13..16 (thus 4) would be free for action assignments.

I wanted to build a system where 1000 actions can be mapped onto fixed slots, in 10 categories of 100 actions, and from each 100 actions the first ten should be the most general actions one might think of.

Categories could be:

A) Non-Sounding Smart Action Markers
0. Track visibility in TCP and MCP 000..099
1. Envelope visibility 100..199
2. Item selection 200..299
3. Window screensets 300..399

B) Sounding Smart Action Markers
0. Solo and Toggling 400..499
1. Fx toggling 500..599
2. Envelope arm toggling 600..699

C) Editing Smart Action Markers
0. Midi Editing Macros 700..799
1. Audio Editing Macros 800..899

Those would be 9 different categories splitted in the broader areas A,B,C. Maybe the categories could be also in a different way, if you have better ideas, you can write those here.

If we look a little closer to one such category, e.g.
0. Track visibility in TCP and MCP 000..099
we have to find out 10 interesting "most general" and most useful such "visibility macro combinations" and assign them to 000..009.

Imo there should be NOT a difference in using macros or any action combinations in non-real-time (by assigning to a hotkey or midi event), or in real-time meaning as smart action markers for example in a dynamic way during the playback. Their triggering should be fixed, and you could always decide quickly if you want to use this "number" just once, meaning in non-real-time or want to place it somewhere into your arrangement for dynamic use.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote