View Single Post
Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #14
bozmillar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_id View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong, I am trying to simplify things in my head in order to figure out how we can proceed.
I'm still in brainstorm mode on this, so as far as I'm concerned, any idea is worth exploring at this point. The main problem I would like to solve is that I think there is a lot of wasted plugin designing talent out there because most plugin developers have a hard time getting past the first plugin when it comes to marketing.

Usually someone who can create a decent plugin probably also has the ability to find a job that will actually pay money.

Quote:
It sounds like there are two independent possibilities. The first is to have some sort of joint collaborative plugin(s). This would be something that a few or many developers would work on. I am going to assume that the goal is to make a commercial plugin that is closed-source (minus the IPlug stuff).
Yeah, and whether it should be 5 people working on 5 plugins in a suite, or 5 people working on a single plugin is up in the air. Maybe it's a new brand, maybe it's not.

Or it could just be a bunch of people sitting around a campfire sharing ideas about what works for them and what doesn't. Or when someone comes to me and asks me to do a plugin and I know I don't have the time to do it, it would be really handy to be able to say "I can't do it right now, but I do know a few people that could."

Quote:
The other idea is to have a website that is a way of promoting and selling our plugins. My guess is that there would be some sort of percentage of each sale that is spent for maintaining the website, paying for any server managing person(s), etc. For the website, let me ask a "devil's advocate" question. What could we do better/cheaper than other sites? I know there are resellers out there that already have systems like this.
It would be hard to compete with the likes of AudioDeluxe and PluginBoutique on this front. They sell for so many developers, you would definitely need to have a good salesman/communications guy to manage it all, but a project like that would be a salesman project and less a developer's project.

The in between idea would be something like Plugin Alliance. They do a really good job of filling the gap between development and sales. This is just a personal preference, but I don't want to go head to head with them because A) They are good at what they do and B) I like those guys