View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #9
Never
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colox View Post
I got this quite noticeable noise coming through my mic cable, though it is an XLR connection (with 48V fantom). It's like a low level static noise, together with what sounds like a highpass-filtered ground hum, which phases and fluctuates all the time.

But if I touch the casing of my soundcard, or just the metal casing of the XLR connector, then the noise slowly disappears (to at least 80%) over a 2-3 second fade out. I gotta touch the metal parts though. If I let go, boom the noise is back instantly.

I've made sure that the cable doesn't run close to any transformers, powercables, screens, Fluorescent lamps of any kind etc. And my soundcard is hooked up to the powergrid through a grounded outlet.

What is causing this BS?
Thx
@Colox - When you have a recording with the noise present, does there appear to be any (even minute) DC offset at all? It just seems like you could benefit from routing Mic>Preamp>DI Box>Sound Card....of course if you are pluggin directly into your sound card/interface...I guess that won't work. If it were me, (I do not like running my mic direct) I would find an old mixer or preamp and plug the mic into it, then if I still had the noise problem, I would get a piece of single conductor wire and link the chassis ground of the mixer to the chassis ground of the PC. Do you get any ground type noise when you plugin a guitar amp? Like maybe your outlets have an earth ground, but maybe the pin runs to the box, but the electrician did not drive the earth ground spike....this can be fixed easily. (Please consult electrician when dealing with AC.)Also....are you in a basement.....if so get a dehumidifier, and keep your guitars upstairs so they do not get dried out. (Simply a suggestion)

Alternately, I used to be a computer tech, and what I have found over the years, is that, while ASIO4ALL will let you use a generic sound interface, it cannot fix it's hardware issues, lol. See if your sound card has an 'FCC approved' (Or location equivalent)stamp or sticker. The FCC approval in my experience goes a long way to eliminating hum and line noise and HDD noise.

-Never
Never is offline   Reply With Quote