View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 09:02 AM   #76
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The original MOTU 896 is 18 years old now and runs with their current driver.
Good to know since I own a MOTU midi interface which I haven't used in the past 15 years. When it comes time for me to connect that back up, I'll let you know how it all goes when it comes to installing their 32bit drivers for it on my Win10 64bit OS machine....oh but wait, it has a parallel port interface connection since when I originally purchased it, that was the most common standard interface connection for midi interfaces. Odd how I haven't received a Parallel port to USB adapter from MOTU in the mail or haven't seen them make one available for their older parallel port interface devices. Maybe I should have purchased a 896 way back when? The one which has Firewire interface connections? Hasn't Apple moved on to lightning connections or is it Thunderbolt and are no longer supporting Firewire? I know my current Windows machine doesn't support Firewire and not really interested in trying out USB to Firewire adapters. Kind of seeming like I may have of had the same issues if I had gotten the 896.

It's a good thing MOTU posted a support article to let me know how to install my MOTU parallel port Midi interface on Windows XP. I hope it still applies today for Windows 10 x64. Unsure since the article seems a bit outdated.
http://motu.com/techsupport/technote...-18.2083364902

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The notion that hardware like this has a limited life and is disposable and that planned obsolescence via software is unavoidable... Don't buy stuff from grifters!
Some people tend to act like they're smarter than others when hindsight is 20/20 and luck has seemed to fallen their way. Maybe you could tell me what the standard audio interface connector will be 20 years from now and when all the OSes decide to move to a 128bit OS and provide a list of devices available today which will have 128bit drivers for them? Now that would be pretty useful but it seems to me that you're kind of missing the point of my statement that you quoted.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-04-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Rednroll is offline   Reply With Quote