View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
insub
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOfDay View Post
what benefits??? there are none. except you are a manufacturer of harddisks.
I have to disagree. I think there are several good reasons for mixing at higher sample-rates. Even when recording at standard 44.1/48kHz.

1. Some plug-ins that could benefit from oversampling do not have it built-in. ReaXComp and Softube Saturation Knob are both good examples.
2. Some actions like time-stretching are native to the DAW and have no option for oversampling.
3. You can convert your project to a higher samplerate using off-line SRC which will be of greater quality than the real-time SRC of oversampling.
4. You can remove the first multiple of the plugins that do need oversampling. For example, when using ReaComp @44.1kHz you should probably be using at least an AA setting of 4x (based on my tests), but @88.2/96kHz you should be able to get by with 2x. And, the real-time oversampling would now be running from your higher-quality off-line SRC, or better yet, you recorded at 88.2/96kHz so no SRC was used yet.

I didn't think that clean EQ's benefited from oversampling. But, this thread shows how oversampling corrects ReaEQ's Nyquist filter cramping. I assume that running the project at a higher rate accomplishes the same thing, but I have not tested this theory.

Whether you appreciate this thread or not, I believe that I have learned something valuable at least. And, maybe it will help someone else out that cares.

Still, don't take my word for it. In the Variety of Sound article linked above the author promotes mixing at higher sample-rates. This coming from a plug-in coder, so I imagine he knows a lot more about it than me. This list is just my take away from all the reading and testing.
insub is offline   Reply With Quote