View Single Post
Old 09-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
K8inLA
Human being with feelings

Default Plugins stop working without notice

I just realized I've been having this problem for months in REAPER 6.13 with Windows 8.1.

Plugins that are working fine one minute stop responding, so a mix that sounds great suddenly sounds like chaos. I couldn't figure out why tuned vocals kept going back out of tune and EQ that sounded perfect suddenly needs adjusting, and the reverb that was perfect now sounds off. Then trying to adjust the Vahalla Vintage Verb, I realized that it wasn't having any impact on the sound. I've had the same problem with Melodyne, Fabfilter Pro Q 3, Mcompressor and other plugins. It seems totally random which ones and how many go out. I've just wasted 2 months trying to get one song mixed and couldn't figure out why, when my last rendered track was almost perfect, I'd go back to my session and random things were off again.

I thought it might be a processor issue because I had a lot of other programs open when I first realized what was happening, and I often leave a session open for days at a time, but I've been closing down and rebooting my computer every few hours today, and I'm still having the same issue.

I also thought Melodyne might be sucking up all the resources, so I rendered all the tracks and clips with Melodyne, but that didn't solve the problem.

Out of about 80 tracks, I think about 20 of them have 2-5 plugins each and several have animation. That doesn't seem like an abnormal amount. Only one of those is an active midi track. The rest are audio and aux/bus tracks.

Is there some setting I can change that could solve this? I have the Buffer settings on the default settings. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this song finished.

For future development, it would be helpful if there were at least a warning when something stops working.

Kayte
K8inLA is offline   Reply With Quote