View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierousseau View Post
Not sure what you mean... I provide a file which will configure a user's nanokontrol2 just like mine in two clicks, or a user can create his own preset with the provided generator. Are you thinking about different surfaces ? Please clarify and help me improve this.
The suggestion was simply to make the mapping between a button and its Reaper action clearer to a typical non-technical musician Reaper user. The track controls like solo, mute, volume and pan are reasonably obvious if someone understands a traditional hardware mixer or has used another DAW. Similarly the basic transport controls like play and stop are similar to traditional [studio hardware] recording & playback devices. However when I made the suggestion I didn't understand the mapping of "cycle" (to Reaper's "repeat") and the marker buttons' setting.

There are probably three ways to see this association or understand it:-

1. Read the C++ code and .json across several text files and associate them with Reaper actions mentioned in the code.

2. Know how to run a command line programme and set up ones own mapping from the prompts.

3. Plug a NanoKontrol2 and Reaper together, install the .dll and give it (i.e. the default mappings) all a try

But best of all if one doesn't have a NanoKontrol2 and Reaper to hand is the simple explanation in a summary table (matrix) as part of a user guide, or use a labelled diagram since not everyone will have the coding or command line skills to do 1 or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierousseau View Post
...It's easy to extend the json preset system to include the feedback codes, but I have no idea if I can assume them to be constant. To send feedback to the nanokontrol, you send it the code 176, the code for the button you wish to update (same as the input code), and 127 or 0 for on or off. Do you know if it works like this with most other surfaces (the order -here 176- might not be identical for all buttons, or buttons might have one code for input and another for output... feed me with knowledge)
The Akai MIDIMIX uses 3 byte Midi as follows for its LEDs

Byte 1 - Midi status byte - Note On (NB encoded with the channel too)
Byte 2 - Note (this value is predetermined by the device firmware for each button LED and cannot be changed by an editor)
Byte 3 - Velocity (0 for off : 127 for on - same as the NanoKontrol2)

It's often hard to find the correct Midi commands for other control surface devices because in the 21st century device manufacturers rarely publish Midi Implementation Charts.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote