View Single Post
Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 AM   #90
parr
Human being with feelings

Going back to original Schwa's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This thread is for discussing potential special MIDI handling features in the notation editor.

Please keep in mind that the notation editor is in early development and nothing too exotic will be implemented until the basics of notation are stable.

It's also most helpful to us if the discussion is focused on incremental steps rather than a giant wish list. The most useful thing to think about from our point of view is the not the interface seen on the screen, or what dialog windows or file formats are used, but instead the specification of what types of data need to be linked to what.

For example:

1. Percussion notation, or any situation where the written notation differs from the desired MIDI output. We could potentially expand the existing MIDI note name interface to support mappings like this:

36 "Kick" 64
44 "Hat pedal" 62 "X"

Meaning, a MIDI note with pitch 36 will be displayed in the piano roll with the name "Kick", and displayed in the notation editor with pitch 64 (F4). A MIDI note with pitch 44 will be displayed in the piano roll with the name "Hat pedal" and displayed in the notation editor with pitch 62 (D4) and an "X" note head.

Is this reasonable?

2. Linking articulation and dynamics to MIDI messages. For example, a staccato marking triggering a key switch, or a crescendo marking triggering CC volume messages.

We could potentially add a new interface to support mappings like this:

FFF B0 07 7F
Staccato 90 00 7F

Meaning, FFF articulation is linked to CC volume 127. Staccato articulation is linked to the note C0 with volume 127. (This is written in raw MIDI but that does not mean the user interface will be.)

Is this reasonable?
I would split the mapping into two parts:

1. a generic map that uses only standard CC's (expression, velocity, pedal) and duration/combination of notes. This will contain all the dynamics: crescendo, diminuendo, pp, ff, but also accents and sustain pedal. The generic map will contain other articulations related with duration/combination of notes: like staccato, cymbal rolls,...

2. an instrument specific map for instruments with specific articulations. This should allow CC's and key switches and one should be able to load one per channel and track. Say, I prepare maps for Embertone violinand Auddict Solo Violin (both for kontakt). Then I should be able to load Embertone map acting on channel 1 of track 1 and EW map acting on channel 2 of track 1, as well.

In case of conflict the specific map should override the generic one, of course, i.e., if I have an instrument with staccato samples, these are the one to be used and not just a short note.

Finally, the map should be fully customizable, with the possibility of adding new text labels.

Sorry if the post is too trivial.
Anyway, I will be very happy with this setup!

juan
parr is offline   Reply With Quote