Thread: Linux NATIVE
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014, 11:44 PM   #27
DuX
Human being with feelings

Not to mention that Windows 8 isn't that great, too... I openly recommend [for years now] people who are using computers for Internet and office work [95%?] to just use PCLinux or Ubuntu. The common reaction is "I can use all this for free?" Normal people don't need complex operating systems nor programs like MS Office for writing letters and other documents, adjusting the brightness and contrast on some pictures and stuff like that... All they need is a browser, multimedia player, rich text editor and a simple graphics editor. That's it. Linux delivers and much much more, actually.

But people who need an OS that supports professional apps... that's still the problem. I simply detest Windows knowing that I could use Linux with RT kernel and Jack. It makes me really sad. I'd make a complete transition to Linux in a heartbeat if Reaper appeared for Linux. There would be so much less to worry about, customisable ditros, themes, incredible support... But as things are now I still use XP and Linux both. XP just for music but I'm too lazy to constantly switch to use the internet.

Yeah, I know we can use VSTs in Linux with a wrapper. At least something.

I also tend to think that Linux is the future, not any of the proprietary OSes we use today. An OS should be free and open source. No backdoors... Free Internet and free OS! <-- notice the lack of "free apps". I think some apps are worth buying, like Reaper, if you use it professionally. Or a professional video or photo editor like we have on OSX and Windows, but that 95% don't need these.

Cheers!

Last edited by DuX; 02-28-2014 at 11:55 PM.