View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #170
Judders
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Can't you just turn the fader down like you would have in the days where you couldn't adjust 'gain' after the fact? Serious question, I've hit 50+ tracks a few times but would have to check them to see if I had this issue. I don't think I did though.
When doing a static balance, I like to keep the faders at unity so they have the most throw range for automation.

In truth, when faced with that many mics on several layered guitars, I bounce them down (and probably throw away one or two of the mic channels) to single channels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Though I do think it is informative, I do it more because it's easier to mix as you have the proper headroom and are already at a happy plugin level expectation. Obviously I can adjust the plugin I/O but I find I don't really have too if all the tracks are within a reasonable nominal level range. Just seems to make mixing life easier across the board (pun intended). If I edit, I just zoom the track vertically (I have a few shortcuts to quickly do this).
Yeah, this works out for stuff I do, but not often when I'm mixing stuff tracked by other people.

Zoom is a big part of my workflow, right-click drag is marquee zoom for me so I can very quickly get down to precise editing level. however, when viewing the arrangement as a whole I like to be able to see what's going on in items. Also, when editing, even if I'm zoomed way in I prefer having more information to "chew on", so if waveform zoom helps with that I'm doing' it
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote