View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
capthook
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer View Post
3- Being a Outlook Express user, I make damned sure the "preview pane" is disabled, that way if I get an email from an unknown source (especially with attachments) and I want to check the properties, I don't inadvertently open it in the preview pane, loading any web-based content which could potentially contain malware.

5- I make sure Spybot Search and Destroy is installed. Not only is it an excellent malware scanner, but it also installs basic protection that can immunize your computer against malware. I don't load the "Tea Timer" protection as it's always running...not ever sure what it does but my clean PC tells me I'm getting by ok without it. And occasionaly, I'll unblock IE in order to do a free online virus scan at Symantec (doesn't work with Firefox unfortunately) and it always comes back clean.
+1 and +1

#3 - also change your default to text-based rather than html-based.
This prevents picture/attachment downloads from occuring when opening the message.
You can right-click in the message and switch it to html to download once you have double-verified it's a legit message.
capthook is offline   Reply With Quote