View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #23
trgeoff
Human being with feelings

Hi Brennan

Glad to hear the porting process is going so well. I was intrigued by "new palm client"?

1: re final result in LG: yes youre right, you would see the moved piece in its new position, and it would disappear from orig square. More exciting is that in reversi, you see all the pieces that have been flipped change color, so you know exactly what youre getting into b4 committing.

2. Cloned games, self vs self, or switching to 'experiment' mode in current game both sound good.

If you went with the former, a slightly more sophisticated cloning process could achieve something I have always thought could provide a good alternative to takebacks.

The idea is that if youre having a fantastic contest, but at move 33 you do something completely moronic, then you resign that game but ask if your opponent is interested in cloning the game back to move 32, and continuing from there.

cheers

geoff

PS I have also started playing Go at last, an interesting game indeed. One feature of it, and a few other games (eg Hex, Havannah) that makes them attractive in an online context, is that you cant do computer cheating, at least not at the medium-higher levels. The computers cant actually compete with humans - in fact the top Go programs cant even beat good amateurs - with 361 squares, the processers are really pushed! Cheating has never been a problem at wifight, but as it grows, it will inevitably rear its unfortunate head.

Last edited by trgeoff; 03-19-2009 at 08:14 AM.